Our world faces a lot of challenges regarding the future of water, food, climate, pollution, etc. Some people might say that the world is going to an end. Some others are trying to find solutions so it never happens. One of these persons is Dickson Despommier and he came up with a marvelous idea considering the food problem: Vertical Farming.
Here are some of the advantages of vertical farming, you can find other advantages on their site:
– Year-round crop production; 1 indoor acre is equivalent to 4-6 outdoor acres or more, depending upon the crop (e.g., strawberries: 1 indoor acre = 30 outdoor acres)
– No weather-related crop failures due to droughts, floods, pests
– All VF food is grown organically: no herbicides, pesticides, or fertilizers
– VF virtually eliminates agricultural runoff by recycling black water
– VF returns farmland to nature, restoring ecosystem functions and services
– VF dramatically reduces fossil fuel use (no tractors, plows, shipping.)
– VF converts abandoned urban properties into food production centers
– And many more…
Watch this video to learn the base of this genius idea!